Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Making a Difference and Having Fun

This is a daily struggle, on many levels.  I've spent my life wanting to make a difference.  When I got a call from a congressman's press secretary yesterday and replied within 10 minutes, she was surprised.  I told her that I'd been waiting 30 years for such a request.  It's true.  The iron is hot, right now.  I don't know how long that will last, though I have a feeling that the issues that I've got particular expertise in will be bubbling to the surface for the next year.  It's kind of funny, but today has been emblematic of the challenge I have before me.  I've spoken to someone regarding some "fun" grant opportunities for telemedicine at the Los Angeles Jewish Home. I spoke to a reporter from a major newspaper about a soon to be published story and another possible story.  I also spoke to a couple of attorney's who are trying to figure out what type of lawsuits are coming their way due to COVID-19.  Finally, I'm preparing for my call this afternoon with our group of experts who have already impacted policy decisions at the state and federal level.  Good thing I woke up at 5 am with ideas in my head for my opening statement this coming Monday before a congressional caucus.  It's only 2pm and I just have 3 hours to go before we babysit our 2 week old granddaughter and a 4 1/2 year old grandson.

I grapple with trying to make a difference and actually making a difference.  I have to own that.  Its' always been an issue for me and now is no different.  I also tend to set the bar pretty high, but that's just who I am.  It makes sense that I started my marathon training yesterday.  Why not throw that in to the mix.  On the other hand, between running an babysitting, I definitely get to have my fun!

My coach and I often talk about how enjoy training more than racing.  I think in life it's the same, which is as it should be.  Ironman is my life's metaphor.  I enjoy the project.  I enjoy the preparation.  I enjoy the strategizing.  The results really shouldn't matter.  Results come whether you like them to or not.  Sometimes they're what you want, other times they're not.  We often don't control the results.  That leaves me with the concept of having fun and getting myself focused on a limited amount of items.  There are only so many hours in a day!  I've already had my fill today.

No comments: