Monday, June 15, 2020

Finding Balance

And so my journey continues.  I realized today that I have a desire to reach out to reporters in order to have them tell the story that I think they should tell.  At the same time, I educate my colleagues on the importance of listening to what the reporter is writing about, and use that to inform oneself on direction.  I need to follow my own advice.  Patience has not often been my strong suit.  Whether it's working with the media or working with government agencies, it's time that I find some semblance of patience.  First, if I push too hard, too soon, I risk losing the influence that I've come to have.  People like to focus on what's important to them.  If I can find common ground on what's important to me, then it's a win:win.

This is also a path toward me regaining some semblance of balance in my life.  There's been no balance since early March.  My wife would say that there's never really been balance in my life.  It's not one of my strengths.  So, I work towards achieving balance.  That means prioritizing.  That means finding the right mixture of fun, purpose, and healthy endeavors.  It might even mean some goal setting. In some ways, I've gotten away from goals, whether they be athletically related or otherwise.  If I read my blogs from the past decade, I've often said that I'm a goal oriented person.  I told someone this morning that I can't change who I am. I shouldn't try to.  I should embrace myself and what makes me tick.  There's no need to run away from who I am.

So, I go back to finding balance.  Today is a good example of that.  I've walked nearly two hours, and done some pushups, squats and lunges.  I've also had several phone calls and am focused on my few tasks at hand for the day.  It's a start.

No comments: