Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I HAVE A SECRET:)

So, it’s 11 days since Ironman St. George. As I slogged through the marathon and went through the finish line, I promised myself that I wouldn’t say anything to my wife or anybody else about future ironman plans. I wasn’t going to say, “I’m never doing this again,” nor was I going to say, “I can’t wait to get another chance.” In reality, I really had no idea whether I ever wanted to do another ironman again. At least, I didn’t want to think about it. So, I promised myself that I’d wait awhile to even consider it.

So, here’s my secret. After just 11 days, the thought of another ironman is already seeping into my consciousness! It’s probably happening for a few reasons. First, I really tolerated the race quite well. Here I am, less than two weeks out, and not only don’t have any soreness, but I’m already back to my pre-ironman swim and bike fitness levels. I’m sure the run will follow along shortly. This puts me in great position for my summer race season. I also have had time to digest what I have accomplished, finishing one of the hardest ironman courses in a respectable time. So, of course, I’m starting to think, what would an “easier” ironman be like? Since I know you have to sign up a year in advance for most of these races, I know that I have to start thinking about it soon if I’m interested in doing another ironman next year.

A few thoughts to help me work on this. First, this was one of the toughest courses. Granted, the bike wasn’t the hardest, but coming off a hypothermia inducing, calorie draining swim, it was all that much tougher. Most people have said that this course added up to an hour to their typical ironman bike time (except for the top pros, of course). Second, nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. I had read that any decline in power, energy, etc., should lead to slowing down and eating…and I didn’t do that. I’d like another chance to hone my ironman racing skills in this regard. I wouldn’t have zoomed past the special needs station halfway through the bike flush in the feeling of how good I felt and how I didn’t need to stop and get anything. Maybe some extra carbopro or having those ginger cookies would have been useful, especially during the less treacherous portions of the downhill. What if I’d been able to go into the run with a little more fuel in the tank? I’d like to find out. My transitions were very “un-me”. Almost 10 minutes for each transition is so unlike anything I ever do. Of course, I really didn’t have a choice, but in a “normal” ironman, I won’t have to change tops, dry off, get the feeling back in my hands and feet. I’d love to go through my usual well rehearsed routine and get quickly through transitions, perhaps taking some extra time to nourish in the early stage of the bike and run instead, while I’m moving.

I’m already feeling the excitement of another challenge. How much time can I take off my ironman “PR”? Can I ever compete for a Kona slot? Can I keep improving so that I’ll be competitive when I turn 55? Will I continue to enjoy the lower intensity, higher volume training? What would be a good course?

2 comments:

Fern said...

Ahha
I think I figured it out...Again I knew you would do an Ironman again,we are very proud of you, as you well know...
hugs Mom

Slater Fletcher said...

You read my mind with that fist paragraph!

Its funny how it takes just as long to "soak in" that you completed such a task as it does to recover from it. However, when they both come around it is pretty powerful stuff to get you signed up for another ;-)

Interested to see what races you are looking at and congrats on becoming and Ironman!!