Thursday, July 30, 2020

Good Trouble

Good Trouble, the term used by John Lewis to describe how he approached bringing about change in our society, is a term that rings true to me.  The moment I read about his use of the word, I immediately understood it.  While I would never begin to equate the things I've fought for in my life to the things John Lewis fought for, I understand the principle. I've advocated for vulnerable older adults for the past thirty years.  While few seem to care, those of us who are so passionate about this cause struggle to gain traction.  That's why we need to cause good trouble. This is a concept that many of my colleagues struggle to understand.  They get caught up in the trouble aspect of the terminology.

When the COVID-19 pandemic began in March, I quickly stuck my neck out.  Aside from calling the pandemic the worst thing to hit nursing homes in our lifetime, I called sending COVID-19 patients into nursing homes akin to "premeditated murder."  Some people thought that I was coming on too strong.  If I'd lived in New York City, I wouldn't have been strong enough!  We'll never know exactly how many more nursing home resident died because of this bad decision.

I'm familiar with the worst elements in the nursing home industry.  Calling that out is good trouble.  It's also made me radioactive to some people in the nursing home industry.  So be it.  I can handle that, I can live with that.  What's been concerning, but not unexpected, are the colleagues who believe that I've come on too strong.  I've been at this fight for over thirty years and we haven't made a lot of progress.  Ageism makes it difficult to make headway in the fight to promote the health and wellbeing of older adults.  Which is why good trouble rings true to me.  Fortunately, and what has kept me going for the past 4 1/2 months, are the colleagues that have encouraged me to continue to speak out, who have appreciated my efforts to be their voice.  I'm also becoming aware of caregivers and family members of vulnerable older adult who also appreciate our efforts.  They are not afraid of our causing some good trouble.  The lives and dignity of their loved ones depend on it.

No comments: