Saturday, July 25, 2020

Finding Discipline

I was really tired again yesterday.  Moving boxes, etc., is really a tiring process, especially if I'd already run 8 miles in the morning. And, had another busy day of talking to reporters and all.  My wife called me out on it.  I don't know how to stop.  It's true.  I really need to find the discipline to pace myself in life the way I have in Ironman.  On one hand, I'm starting by writing my blog first thing in the morning and following that up with my morning run.  Also, having the discipline to stay away from social media and email prior to my run.  Hopefully that gives me an opportunity to focus more on the run than on whatever will be on my mind.  This is the beginning to finding discipline, but there is a much more important step to come.  It's something I've blogged about before, and I would guess that I've done that more than once.  It's prioritizing.

I have too many things to do every day.  First of all, that gets me in trouble, because when I'm feeling overwhelmed, I'm actually less productive.  It's not actually a matter of prioritizing on a daily basis, it's a matter of prioritizing on a life's basis.  That takes discipline.  I really need to drop things from my list.  Considering that I'm someone who doesn't like to quit, that means that I can't add anything new. Period.  I have enough tasks to complete that the idea of adding on new tasks for some time should be completely off the table.  Completely.

So, I must find the discipline to say no.  Just this past week I've had new projects come my way.  I've had new reporters reach out to me.  How many reporters are enough? Sixty five? Seventy?  Is there a reason that I don't know how to say no to anyone?  Well, there are certainly psychological reasons, but rather than entertain those, perhaps I should just find the discipline to say no.

No comments: