Monday, March 9, 2020

Getting Things Done

It's been awhile since I was truly in Getting Things Done mode.  It really started a week and a half ago when I heard about the death from COVID-19 in a nursing home.  That got my attention.  On Friday, I realized that something more needed to get done.  That's when I pulled my team together.  If there's one thing I've learned in the past few years, it really does take a team.  For many reasons, including the fact that when I get into this mode by myself, I'm just going to ultimately bury myself.  It's hard enough even when you have a team.  Delegation is critical.

Remarkably, in just a few day, our team got it done.  The final result had one glitch, but that's technology for you, kicking you in the butt every time.  Nevertheless, the result was a huge success.  It's now a template for future efforts.  I also remembered how the adrenaline turns on when I'm in Getting Things Done mode.  Today was that kind of day, when I realized this morning that I needed to go into the nursing home for a meeting.  I could have done the meeting by phone, but under the circumstances that are happening, it's just not the same.  When given a choice, I'll always take the most effective route.  Upon returning home, it was, let's get ready for the webinar time, and before I knew it, it was time for the webinar.  Nine straight hours of work.

My wife was hungry because we had no food in the house, so I went shopping, all the while continuing my text and twitter followup from our webinar.  I finally managed to eat dinner when I got home and caught up on emails.  I even turned my phone off.  However, I had some work on the textbook I'm overseeing, and didn't want that work to wait another day. More emails.  I've been my own assistant for everything as of late, which makes sense for someone who is semi-retired like myself.

The day is now 13 hours old and I figured that writing my blog was a good way to close out the day before chilling for an hour and going to bed.  I'll have to blog about the positives and negatives of Getting Things Done another day.  Tonight, I'll just rest on the fact that I accomplished a ton today, so did a bunch of other folks, and hopefully we did something good for the world.

No comments: