Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Back to Work, Dreaming That Is

I've recently been blogging about how my dreams have gone back to normal, so to speak.  It seems to have been short lived.  I woke up this morning and realized that my dream last night was focused on work related topics.  On June 9th, when I testified before two California State Assembly Committees,  I heard about a plan by the California Department of Public Health to develop some new fangled "predictive analytics" to evaluate nursing home quality.  I was dubious then, and realized yesterday that they've actually adopted their new analytics.  I'm still dubious.  In fact, I had a couple of calls with their analysts, and tried to move them in new directions, but that was never going to go anywhere.

It seems that the more I dig into how the California Department of Public Health is going about their business, the more skeptical I get.  Why do I care so much?  Because the number of nursing homes who are dying across the state keeps going up.  What's worse, is that those numbers are certainly not accurate.  They're probably significantly undercounted.  Why do I are so much?  Because I've spent my career focused on helping older adults and I've somehow come to this moment in time thrust into the middle of the vortex that is COVID-19.

So, I guess I'm supposed to follow my dreams, though, just not the way I have in the past.  I'm literally supposed to follow my actual dreams.  I still need to pick up my sleep book, though right now that sounds like a great plan for this weekend, when I try to unwind from the week and avoid the complete obsession that has been much of the past five months.  It's helping to start my day with this blog, and then go out for my 8 mile run.  Today will complete my third set of 8 mile runs.  I've probably once again been feeling the fatigue from these daily runs, as well as the walking that I've been piling on to my runs on a daily basis.  My run/walk volume has reached heights that I have rarely done on a consistent basis in the past.  Hmmmm.  Is there another 100 miler in my future.  I guess that's for another dream.

No comments: