Thursday, April 9, 2009

It's all relative: enjoying the journey

Despite not being able to "race" the California 70.3 like I'd planned, I realized that I still had a great time. Having a "50" on my left calf for the first time made me appreciate every 20, 30 and 40 year old I passed, and there were a lot of them! Furthermore, I put in an excellent effort and felt ok through most of the race.

The last few days have done nothing to change my attitude. I recovered faster from this race than I ever have and have had almost no soreness. This has only served to magnify the healthy aspects of triathlon training. Yesterday, I swam 6x500 yards and felt absolutely wonderful. So wonderful, in fact, that midway through my workout I began thinking, "why not do an ironman?".

So, this morning, I signed up for 2010 St. George Ironman. I'm going to do it! I had wanted to do an ironman when I turned 40, but work got in the way. I promised myself then that I'd move my ironman attempt to when I turned 50, but recently began to think that I had too many other irons in the fire to try. I don't know if I'm being rational, but I really feel that completing an ironman is within my reach and abilities and I need to take the opportunity to do it.

My coach told me a few weeks ago that when it was time for me to do an ironman, I'd know it. I didn't really know what that meant until yesterday. I signed up this morning and have yet to regret it:)

The good part of all of this is that I'll have a month's vacation after Long Course Worlds in Perth, then it's time to get into ironman training.

The journey continues...

No comments: