Sunday, December 26, 2021

Journey to Kona Day 103: Getting Off Track

I've written about the importance of how I start my day.  Somehow, I've gotten off track.  Today was a reminder of how to do it right.  I had promised myself to start my day by reading and writing, but somewhere along the way the urge to check out the internet or look something up or to write about something I'm working on seeped back in.  Starting my day off with an adrenaline "work" rush was not the epiphany that I'd had.  So, today, I try to get back on track.

Reading is something I used to love to do as a child.  In many ways, it grounds me.  What I read also matters.  Reading something of interest, but not necessarily reading something that plays to my workaholic tendencies, is my sweet spot.  I recently read a biography of "Shoeless" Joe Jackson.  That brought back memories of going to the library when I was a kid and checking out 8 books.  I'd read them all.  I've also enjoyed reading biographies.  I enjoy historical books.  I enjoy reading.  Somewhere along the way, as work and life took over, reading fell away.  I'd read the newspaper every day, that was it.  

Lately, the internet has been my reading consumption.  Unfortunately, there are too many unhealthy aspects to the internet. Checking social media and email are the biggest. In its own way, the internet makes it easy to find things to read, but it's almost pavlovian in nature.  It's not the same as sitting down and reading a good book. I need to get back on track.

This morning, I read a couple of stories in Runners World.  That's more like it.  I need to look at books I've bought and not read, or even books I haven't read in years.  It might be time, finally, after all these years to go back and read The Intern, the book I credit for helping me decide to become a doctor.  There's also Asimov's Foundation Trilogy.  

What tends to get in the way of my morning routine are things that pop up in my schedule.  A meeting I hadn't anticipated.  Another meeting that I actually set up, that could have been set up at a different time. Priorities.  Helping with the grandchildren.  There's always something, but maybe there doesn't have to be?  It's my choice.  Maybe I need to be a little more selfish in how I carve out my mornings?  Otherwise, it becomes too easy to get off track.

It's probably not a coincidence that getting off track has coincided with not biking or swimming.  My Ironman training definitely grounds me and is something that I've chosen to do for myself.  So, today, I begin to get on track again.  I'm sure that I'll bump the sides of the track every so often.  Things do come up which will throw me off for the day.  But, the next morning starts anew and I can look at each day as a chance to start my day with a routine.  Read, stretch, write, exercise. Time to get back on track.

No comments: