Monday, July 22, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 168: What Drives Us

My plan today was to go for a relatively short bike ride and do a brief swim.  The idea was to get the blood flowing and the muscles activated.  I felt that some short bouts of intensity would serve me well.  I didn't really think too much about how intense my effort would be.  So, I set out on my bike, going comfortably for the first 15 minutes, and as I turned around, I decided to go hard over a half mile slightly uphill segment my typical loop.  I managed to hit the light while moving and pushed hard. My quads started to burn, so I backed off ever so slightly, staying in my aero position.  I kept pushing, and stayed in my 52 front chain ring, which I've never done on this segment before.  The intersection at the end of the segment was ahead, and I was again fortunate to hit it with a green light, allowing me to maintain my effort and pace.  This was pretty close to a consistent all out 90 second effort.  

When I got home and checked Strava, I discovered that my previous best time on this segment had been 1:56.  Today, I rode the segment in 1:27!  Did I push too hard?  I don't know, and in fact, I don't care.  It turns out that this was the 7th fastest time on this segment amongst over 4700 people!  How cool!  From a mental perspective, I couldn't be in a better place going into Santa Rosa, where I'll have some opportunities to push har on the bike.  I now know that I can push pretty hard for half a mile.  Both major hills are only a little over one mile long, so this means that I have a chance to push pretty hard up these hills.  

My left rib is a little sore tonight.  I also did a hard 300 yard effort in the pool.  My brain is fully ready for my race on Saturday.  Having a goal is important.  Achieving a goal is even better.  That's what drives me.  That's what matters.

No comments: