Monday, May 30, 2022

Showing Respect For Ironman

It's been three weeks, and while I'm itching to jump back fully into training, I know better. Ironman takes a huge toll on the body and one's physiology.  I remember in 2013, four weeks after completing Ironman Lake Tahoe (which ironically was very similar in the end to St. George), I ran one of my best 5K trail races ever!  And, three days later, I broke out with shingles.  On must show respect for Ironman, or it will kick you in the butt.

Since I'm not planning to do anymore full Ironman races, that doesn't mean that I won't train as if I'm going to do one. Or, not. The nice thing about completing an Ironman is that for the next 4-6 weeks it's absolutely ok to do whatever your body tells you to.  Today I ran 8 miles, which actually felt absolutely fine.  I'm not surprised that my muscles were ok, nor was I surprised that I was ok.  I wasn't fast, but that was the point, I just ran 8 miles.  It's pretty nice that, at the age of 63 (soon), I can go out and run 8 miles with no consequences.  The thing I have to be careful of is not to get ahead of myself.  It would be easy to put in some intensity, and I'd probably not only do fine, but possible do great. However, it would be playing with fire. I need to show respect for Ironman.

I only have two races scheduled this summer, and they're back to back on one weekend at the end of August.  A 4 hour race on Saturday followed by a one hour race on Sunday. In Santa Barbara. Should be fun, and that's the idea!  I could pretty well coast the rest of the summer and do them, but that's not me. I'll definitely put in some solid training, but I have no clue yet what that training will look like.  I'm planning to work on my swim and continue to stay strong with my run. Honestly, at this point, unless I was planning to do another Ironman, the bike almost takes care of itself.

As I reflect on Ironman St. George, I'm totally at peace with my decision to make it my last Ironman. I really have to question the long term impact of an Ironman race as I get older.  The last three weeks have reminded me of the impact on the body. More so, the impact on one's hormones and physiology. As a geriatrician, I've often said that older adults have less reserve. Completing an Ironman pretty much wipes out that reserve. I'll vouch for that. That's why I'll show respect for Ironman!

No comments: