Saturday, April 9, 2022

Journey Back to Kona Day 207: Following My Own Path

I have always been one to follow my own path. I realize that there are two aspects to this tendency. The first is as a leader.  If I'm following my path as a leader, others will come along with me, if they so choose.  The second way is just me as an individual.  I can choose to follow my own path, regardless of the path others are choosing, with no intention of pulling people along with me.

A few years ago when I decided to take on the editing of a major textbook, I had some of my mentors downplay the value of it.  I'm not sure why, but in the end, I chose to follow my own path, and I'm glad that I did.  Perhaps it was as simple as the fact that my path and their paths had diverged, which is fine. I won't get into other psychological reasons, as they presume that I know how other people think and feel.  

I've followed my own path pretty much my whole life.  From the 3rd grade, where my teacher said that I was preoccupied with the war in Vietnam, to the 6th or 7th grade where my English teacher complained about my reading books that appealed to me, to high school, where I was just plain iconoclastic on a regular basis, following my own path has pretty much defined me.  

As a leader, there is the complication that people following you may not feel like your path and theirs are the same. Yet, as a leader, you really have no choice, unless you decide that you want to vary from the direction that appeals to you, or are swayed by another path put forward.  I've always been open to other ideas, and willing to listen to other approaches. Still, as a leader, if you successfully message your path, others will invariably follow you.

As an individual, knowing the path that you want to take is important. Obviously, there will be barriers along the way and differences of opinion from others around you if your path conflicts with theirs. Depending on the various paths, there doesn't have to be conflict, but that's a discussion for another blog.  Suffice it to say, for my entire life, I've pretty much followed my own path. I think I'll choose to keep that mantra going.

No comments: