Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Bullies are my Weak Spot

My weak spot is bullies.  They make me feel like I'm lacking in control. Ironically, worrying about being in control isn't really necessary if you can accept the fact that we're never fully in control of anything.  Still, it's a challenge.  Most of my life I've really struggled with bullies.  At the same time, I've usually been fine in standing up to bullies, but that doesn't change the underlying internal discomfort that they cause me. It truly has always been my weakness.  In 7th grade, I was bullied, and actually stood up and fought with the bully. In college, I was involved in a summer research program and a graduate student bullied me, and I quit.  There are many examples over the years.  When I've tried to accept a bully and not quit or fight back, it hasn't been healthy for me.  There are exceptions, though.

If I don't have to directly deal with a bully, or if they have little to no actual impact on me, I don't need to confront them.  That's where life balance comes into play. No matter what, though, the key is to not let bullies control ones life in any way, shape or form. Whether that is something I can control, or not, is really beside the point.  One thing that I know for sure, is that I don't do well when I let bullies take control of my life.  It's never felt good, and it never turns out well.

Bullies are my weak spot.  Standing up to bullies has defined most of my life.  I can't change that, and therefore, don't want to.  A weak spot isn't necessarily a weakness.  It's important to know your weak spots so you can address them. That's what I try to do.


No comments: