Sunday, March 27, 2022

Journey Back to Kona Day 194: Back to Prioritizing

Multiple things on my brain today.  Life priorities and training priorities.  The training priorities have been complicated by left knee pain, which I believe that I can trace back to having my bike shoes adjusted when I got my bike fit dialed in some weeks ago.  My first real long ride last weekend left me with some significant left knee pain.  I rested it, it improved, and when I rode yesterday, it came back.  Yuk!  If there's one thing a triathlete hates, it's this type of pain.  Pain from a long run is fine, but pain from a relatively short bike, where the rest of my legs felt fine, is frustrating.

That probably messed with my mind yesterday, which wasn't a good thing, as I was already pondering my life priorities again.  I'm sure that I can look back at previous blogs and find many that address this complex issue.  Too many things that matter to me. Not enough time in the day or week.  Which ones do I choose.  With a half ironman next week and an ironman on the very near horizon, that decision should be pretty simple.  Just get through Ironman St. George and then come back to the priorities.  That should be my path.

In the meantime, I can process a bit.  Once again, this past week was a reminder of the clash of priorities.  With my son-in-law out of town, we were helping with the grandkids.  I absolutely love my time with my grandson and granddaughter, but chasing a two year old around all day can be more exhausting than doing a full ironman!  In some ways, the timing with my knee injury might have been fortuitous, lest I would have pushed too hard with training to train through the injury.  Again, no regrets. We can only take life one day at a time and deal with the issues that we are faced with on a daily basis.  Ironman as a metaphor for life, stay in the moment.  

Sometimes that concept is easier said than done, and injury-pain certainly messes with one's brain.  It also doesn't help that my mind has been significantly blown over the past few weeks with the progress I've made on the advocacy front.  I'm having the type of potential impact that I've always dreamed of.  But, be careful what you wish for.  That type of success is not only addictive, but also opens up a number of rabbit holes.  Opportunities lead to more opportunities.  This only opens up more chances for priority conflicts.  And, so I'm back to prioritizing.

No comments: