Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Journey Back to Kona Day 21: Mindset Matters

It's all about the mindset.  My coach was telling me today that 80-100 miles into the bike leg of an ironman, he'd be thinking about how his legs would feel if he started running.  I got it!  If I've prepared well and not burned too many matches on the bike, instead of having the biking doldrums, I should feel ready to go for the run.  In fact, my recent long bike rides have begun to prepare me for this, as I've gotten off the bike and been relatively ok running.  Of course, at Ironman California I'll be well rested going in, and so long as I don't push myself too hard on the bike, I'll be able to relate to the feeling!  I remember feeling this way at Ironman Chattanooga.  It's something I'd love to feel again!  Of course, mindset matters. When it comes down to it, getting in the right frame of mind is essential, and I feel like I'm so far ahead of where I've been before.

Swimming for over an hour just doesn't seem long anymore.  Biking for nearly six hours also doesn't seem that strenuous.  And of course, running 18 miles last week was just another running workout.  That's what my mind is telling my body, but more importantly, that's what my body is telling my mind!  I'm a huge believer in visualization, and as I prepare for Ironman California, and other Ironman's afterward, I'm excited by the new mindset.


No comments: