Saturday, September 18, 2021

Journey Back to Kona Day 4: It's All About the Bike, Kind of

What a day.  After four days of primarily running (~33 miles) and a solid bike effort yesterday, today was a long bike day.  In the past this is probably where I've struggled the most.  First of all, getting these long rides in. Second, making them count!  I had put a 6 hour ride in my calendar and my coach said that 5 to 6 was fine.  Well, I got in the full six hours, and I could have kept riding (though probably wouldn't have enjoyed it too much).  My power didn't make sense today, and since I hadn't calibrated my power meter, I'll just have to leave it at that.  However, I know how I felt and I know how fast I went.  Last weekend, I went into a similar ride with about the same level of fatigue and noticed that my back was a little sore and tight pretty early on.  Still, I rode over five hours and my back held up.  Today, I never really felt any back discomfort (ok, maybe a little during the last hour or so).  And, I kept in my aero position diligently for 90% of this ride, especially the 83 miles riding the Westlake "Lake Loop."  Sixteen loops might seem excessive to some, and mind numbing to others, but it's great practice for a flat Ironman California course, and it's a great way to measure my progress.

The first thing I noticed was that my first loop was about a minute or so faster than my fastest loops last week.  And, my heart rate was low, actually mostly under 120 for the first few loops.  Fifteen loops later I was finishing that portion of my ride and my HR was now ~130 and my speed had only slowed slightly.  The effort was fine (again, can't trust the power meter readings).  The speed, however, spoke for itself today.  I was rock solid consistent riding 19mph for 83 miles (4 1/2 hours), and feeling fine doing so.  This bodes very well for my Ironman, especially considering the fact that I'll be rested, which I wasn't today.

6 hours and 5 minutes on the bike; 108 miles in the books.  I got home and quickly changed into my running shorts and shoes and (after a very short bathroom break) ran 2.1 miles at a comfortable breathing effort (breathing every 6 steps).  It was a bit of a "slog" I have to admit, and my low back was tightening up on me during the second mile.  Nevertheless, my running pace was 9:38.  And, it didn't budge for the two miles.  Again, on race day, I'll be rested.  I won't have run 33 miles in the four days leading up to the race.  I won't be carrying six months of fatigue.  But, I'd be thrilled to get off the bike and run 9:38 pace!  I'll always remember Ironman Chattanooga, perhaps the only time I got off the bike in an Ironman and my legs actually felt great.  Also my second fastest Ironman run ever.  Considering how my legs felt at the Santa Barbara Triathlon just three weeks ago, I'm encouraged to see where I'll be five weeks from now.

Five weeks from now.  That's remarkable.  I'm literally a week (or two) from my official "taper."  Fortunately, I get a "break" over the next four or five days.  After a long run tomorrow, we babysit for four days (I imagine that carries its own stress, not easily documented in my training logs).  However, physically that will give me four days to "unload" the fatigue that I've built up recently.  Next weekend will be similar to this one, and then it's time to begin my taper.  At the end of the day, Ironman racing is really about the run, but you can't run if your legs are beat up by the bike.  Today's bike suggests that won't be the case.

No comments: