Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ironman 3 Day Weekend

So, friday morning I got up early and went to the pool.  Swam 4500 yards with a solid and consistent effort from the beginning to the end.  We then had meetings and errands to run the rest of the day, so I didn't get to do my bike ride until after 5pm, when I made my way out for a very solid ride until the sun went down.  I got 38 1/2 miles in in under 2 hours, and my quads even felt a little tired and sore.  Tried to eat and drink as much as possible and get a good night sleep before getting up before sunrise and getting out for my long ride as the sun came up.  It was chilly, but I dressed warm and got in 3 1/2 hours of riding prior to meeting up with my friend Rudy, who rode with me for the rest of my ride.  The ride included well over 4 hours of ironman paced riding and I felt better at the end of the ride than I did at the beginning of it!  We stopped after I'd ridden 103 miles because Rudy bonked, I could have kept going, but I quickly put on my running shoes and did a hard 2 mile run at 7:45 pace.  I couldn't believe it!  It was hard, but I still did it.  More eating and drinking the rest of the day.  Was curious how I'd feel this morning, must admit my quads felt tired and a tad sore, but I was ready for my run workout of 2 hours and 15 minutes.  Three 30 minute "tempo efforts" later, right around 8:40 pace, while my heart rate stubbornly wouldn't go up.  Three days, 141 cycling miles, 16.5 running miles and 2.7 swim miles later, and I was ready to kick back and relax.  With six weeks to go to Ironman St. George, this was my best indication that I'm ready for the race.  In fact, I'm not sure that my legs will feel any worse when I hit the run in six weeks than they did today!

No comments: